A growing proportion of gym-goers and other athletes swear by pre-workout blends to boost performance. Half of the most popular sports nutrition brands carry PWB versions. Lumina’s data dive found 200+ brands in 20 countries and much potential for expansion beyond the gym-going hardcore toward energy drinks and non-powder formats – even as its ratings underperform against other sports nutrition categories over quality and efficacy concerns. We report on a challenging but potentially lucrative category.
What this report gives you:
- A summary of the global pre-workout landscape including leading brands, reception by consumers, formats, science, ingredients, demographics, brand positioning, claims and labelling.
- Pre-workouts in the content of the online space: how many companies take their online presence seriously, which countries are particularly engaged online, trends and opportunities.
- An examination of pricing, proprietary ingredients and positioning in the competitive landscape, including case studies of leading brands embracing pre-workout blends.
- A deep-dive on particularly countries and regions: China, US, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Brazil, Mexico and Europe.
- In Lumina’s 20-country data capture consumers reviewed Pre-Workout Blends (PWBs) 136,000 times with NutraBolt, JYM, Cobra Labs, Optimum Nutrition and Kaged Muscle out front in terms of online engagement.
- Use of amino acids including branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) is nearly mandatory with B-alanine present in 75% of 206 PWB brands we captured, often in branded ingredient form. Creatine is another key nutrient. Caffeine is present in 73%, and more than 50 botanicals formulated in varying ways into 61% including ginseng and green tea.
- PWBs incorporating proprietary ingredients (as opposed to proprietary blends) are scoring higher with consumers in a category that is one of the worst performing in the world of sports nutrition. While average star ratings are above 4/5, other categories like protein powders and BCAAs outperform it.
Preview – 2 slides of 73:
- Global pre-workout landscape & product analysis
- Digital disruption & the rise of the review
- Competitive landscape
- Cobra Labs
- Kaged Muscle
- Country focus
- Japan/South Korea/Australia
- Appendix of studies
Total slides = 64